Slip and fall accidents can leave victims with major medical expenses, long-term rehabilitation needs, and painful injuries that can last a lifetime. If you’ve been hurt in a slip-and-fall accident in Atlanta, it’s important to take steps as soon as possible after an accident if you wish to pursue a claim for the money you may be owed. Get a free evaluation of your injury claim after a slip and fall by contacting the professional and effective Atlanta slip and fall lawyers at the Marks Law Group.
What are common causes of slip-and-fall accidents?
Slip-and-fall accidents can happen anywhere. While the elderly or disabled are particularly vulnerable to slip and fall accidents, hidden hazards can take down even healthy and able-bodied individuals. Common reasons for slip-and-fall accidents include:
- Weather conditions – No one can control the weather, but businesses and public buildings have a duty to mitigate the hazards that weather can pose to customers. When weather conditions make floors or walkways hazardous, businesses must make efforts to warn customers of slippery surfaces, use salt or gravel to limit the slipperiness, or put out non-slip mats to prevent accidents.
- Customer spills – In grocery stores and restaurants, it is inevitable that other customers will drop jars or drinks, creating a slipping hazard. Management can’t always prevent these accidents, but they have a responsibility to clean up these spills as soon as possible, and to inspect the business premises regularly for any such spills.
- Uneven surfaces—When flooring materials, such as tile or carpet, begin to peel up from the floor, they can pose a dangerous tripping hazard that customers might not notice. Customers can also fall victim to dangerous falls when stairs are uneven or damaged, or if slippery stairs lack a nonslip edge.
- Lack of proper safety precautions in nursing homes—A bad fall can result in grave or fatal injuries for the elderly. Nursing homes or assisted living facilities that lack safety railings along walkways or in bathrooms, or which fail to provide adequate staffing, may be liable for injuries suffered by residents in slip-and-fall accidents.
- Failure to provide adequate lighting—Public areas where customers will be walking must be well-lit. If visitors are injured from a fall in a poorly-lit area, businesses may be held responsible.
Don’t fight for the money you’re owed after a Georgia slip-and-fall accident without help—contact the dedicated, experienced, and aggressive Atlanta personal injury lawyers at the Marks Law Group, LLC to find out how we can help you get the compensation you need for your injuries, at 404-939-1485.