Atlanta Crime Victim Lawyer

Many victims of a violent crime do not know the full extent of their legal rights. If you or someone close to you has been a victim of a violent crime, you should contact an attorney who specializes in representing victims of violent crimes.

For example, some people mistakenly believe that they cannot recover monetary damages if the person who harmed them is acquitted. Other victims are unaware of their rights when it comes to suing a property owner if their actions contributed to crimes committed against them.

Our skilled Atlanta crime victim lawyers have successfully represented many crime victims and their families. We’ll deliver the best customer service and the greatest result.


Atlanta Crime Statistics

The city of Atlanta has seen a spike in violent crime over the past few years. As of January 8th, there had already been 154 murders in Atlanta in 2020. This is the highest total number of murders ever recorded in one year.

In addition to homicide, aggravated assaults have also increased dramatically in recent years. From 2013 to 2018, the number of aggravated assaults rose from 5,823 to 11,906. The average age of a homicide victim in Atlanta is now 31.

There were more than 300 homicides during the same period. And while the number of murders decreased slightly in 2019 compared to 2018, it still remained above 400.

Atlanta Crime Victim Compensation

In Georgia, crime victims are eligible to receive compensation for lost wages, medical expenses, and funeral costs. In addition, the state provides funding for counseling and support groups.

The law applies to crimes committed on or after July 1, 2017. If you've been victimized, contact the police department where the crime occurred. You must provide documentation proving that you were injured, such as hospital records, doctor's notes, prescriptions, or X-rays.

If you're filing a lawsuit, you'll need to prove that the defendant caused your injuries. This could include evidence that the person acted negligently, intentionally, or recklessly. You should also consider hiring an Atlanta personal injury lawyer to help you navigate the legal process.

Negligent Security Claims and Crime Victims

A negligent security claim involves a situation where someone gets injured while on a property owned by another party. This often happens because there is a dangerous condition on the premises, such as a broken stairway, loose wires, or an unlocked door, but can also involve a criminal act committed by someone else on the property. If you believe that your injuries were a result of a business not implementing proper security measures you may be able to file a compensation claim.

Retail stores and apartment complexes should adequately staff their businesses and hire night security guards to patrol the property and keep the premises safe. If they fail to provide adequate security, they might be held liable for criminal activity that leads to the injury of a patron or tenant.


 Wrongful Death Claims After a Crime

If a victim does not incite an attack and dies, the surviving family members are able to file a wrongful death claim. Potential claimants include spouses, children, and parents. Wrongful death claims can also be filed by an estate representative.

Wrongful death claims allow you to recover compensation for losses caused by the passing of your loved one. You can also recover damages for your lost household income if the deceased was your family's main breadwinner. Additionally, funeral expenses are recoverable.

What Kind of Compensation Can You Recover?

We are here to help you understand what types of injuries qualify for compensation, and how we go about getting those claims paid. If you are looking into filing a personal injury claim against someone else, it is important that you know what kinds of injuries can lead to a successful lawsuit. In addition to physical injuries, there are many different types of damages that can be recovered under Georgia law. These include:

Medical Expenses

Medical bills are expensive, and most insurance companies do not cover the full amount. You may be able to collect medical costs you have incurred from the person responsible for causing your accident.

Lost Wages

Lost wages are another common type of loss that can be recovered. This includes things like missed work days, overtime pay, and anything else that could have been earned if you had not been hurt.

Pain & Suffering

Pain and suffering are often difficult to quantify, but they are real nonetheless. They can include mental anguish, anxiety, depression, and other symptoms related to the trauma of being involved in an accident.

Emotional Distress

Emotional distress occurs when you suffer severe emotional harm because of something that happened to you. For example, if you were assaulted or robbed, you might be able to recover compensation for emotional distress.

Loss of Consortium

Loss of consortium refers to the financial impact that having a loved one in the hospital can have on your family. This includes things like childcare costs and missed vacations.

How Much Money Can I Recover Through a Crime Victim Case in Atlanta?

If you’ve been injured because someone else committed a crime against you, you might be eligible for financial compensation. You could even file a lawsuit against the person who caused your injury. If you suffered physical or emotional harm, you could potentially be compensated for medical bills, lost wages, and other costs associated with your injuries. However, it’s important to know what types of cases are covered under Georgia law.

In most states, there is no specific statute that defines how much money an innocent victim can obtain through a personal injury claim. Instead, courts use common law principles to determine the amount of damages that can be awarded. This includes factors such as the severity of the injury, the length of hospitalization, the extent of pain and suffering experienced by the victim, and the cost of future treatment.

Georgia law does provide some protections for people who have been harmed due to negligence. For example, anyone who suffers property damage as a result of another party’s negligence can sue that individual for up to $10,000 per incident. Additionally, if you are involved in a car accident where the driver is uninsured or doesn’t have enough insurance coverage, you could seek compensation for medical bills, lost income, and other damages.

However, you must prove that the defendant acted negligently in order to win a personal injury suit. To do this, you must show that the defendant owed you a duty of care and failed to meet that standard of care. For instance, if you slip and fall on a sidewalk outside a restaurant, you probably wouldn’t be able to bring a negligence claim against the owner of the establishment. But if you slipped on a puddle of water while walking down a public street, you likely would be able to pursue a negligence claim against the city.

A personal injury lawyer can help you decide whether you qualify for any type of compensation. If you believe you’re entitled to compensation for your injuries, contact our office today. We offer free initial consultations to discuss your legal options.

Can My Claim Help Replace Property That Was Stolen?

Police try to recover stolen property. But sometimes they don’t succeed. If you lose something because someone stole it, you might be able to file a lawsuit against the person responsible. In some cases, you can even collect money from the thief’s insurance policy.

You can sue if you want. This type of legal action is called a civil suit. A civil suit allows you to seek monetary damages from a defendant. For example, if you lost $1,000 worth of jewelry and someone stole it, you could sue that person for $1,000.


Your insurance company should cover most of the costs associated with recovering your belongings. Insurance policies usually include coverage for things like damage to personal items, missing items, and replacement cost. However, your policy does not cover everything. For instance, it won’t pay you for sentimental value.

If you are unable to find out what happened to your property, you can hire an attorney to represent you. An attorney will work on your behalf and pursue recovery for you. They will make sure that your rights are protected during the process.

What if the person who committed the crime is in jail, or can't be found? How can I recover money?

The Georgia Crime Victims Compensation Program provides financial assistance to victims of certain crimes. If someone commits a violent felony against you, such as rape, murder, aggravated assault, kidnapping or armed robbery, you are eligible to receive compensation. Your claim must be filed within one year of the date of the incident. You may qualify for up to $50,000 per victim.

If the perpetrator of the crime cannot be located, you may still file a claim. However, it will be much harder to prove that you suffered damages because the criminal won’t have to pay restitution.

You may want to consider filing a civil lawsuit. Civil lawsuits are different than claims under the Crime Victims Compensation Act. They require proof of actual damage. If you win, you could collect punitive damages.

In addition to compensating you for medical bills, lost wages and property damage, the court may award attorney fees. This is especially helpful if the defendant had insurance coverage.

Is There a Deadline to File a Crime Victim Case in Atlanta?

There is a deadline called the statute of limitations. Typically this time limit is two years, though some circumstances can alter this. If someone commits a crime against you and you want to pursue legal action, speak to a crime victim injury attorney about filing claims before the statute of limitations expires.

A lawyer can help you understand what steps you must take to receive compensation under Georgia law. You might qualify for compensation under Georgia’s Crime Victims Compensation Act. You can call our law firm or use the contact form to discuss your case with an attorney, determine if you can recover compensation, and learn how we can help you.