Superior Pedestrian Accident Attorneys in Atlanta, GA: The Marks Law Group
At Marks Law Group, LLC our Atlanta pedestrian accident attorneys want our community to understand that whenever you are not using a vehicle for transportation, you are a pedestrian! Your safety is paramount in the State of Georgia, and your legal rights are not subject to approval. This is important as the Atlanta, GA community is enjoying an increase in pedestrian activities, thanks to Fulton County’s expansion of bike paths, and walking, jogging, and running trails that are providing outlets for exercise enthusiasts and casual strollers alike.
Everyone deserves the expectation of safety when on foot, whether they are leisurely enjoying the weather, or training for a marathon. Our Atlanta pedestrian accident lawyers successfully represent Georgians whose safety has been compromised by negligent drivers and unsafe surroundings. The injuries sustained as a pedestrian by impact from a vehicle or a fall can be devastating, long-term, and life-changing. We can help you focus on your medical and psychological recovery while we pursue the financial settlement you deserve to take your time and heal fully.
Pedestrian Accident Statistics: Nationwide and in the State of Georgia
Pedestrian accident trends are increasing throughout the nation and causing alarm throughout communities where families can feel the disruption to their safety due to negligent driving.
Last year the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recorded the highest number of pedestrian fatalities since 1996 stating:
- 5,376 pedestrians were killed in traffic accidents nationwide, up 9.5% from the previous year
- Every 1.6 hours a pedestrian is killed in a traffic crash
- Every 7.5 minutes a pedestrian is injured in a traffic crash
- 15% of all traffic fatalities are pedestrian deaths
- 21% of children (14 and under) killed in traffic crashes are pedestrians
- 19% of the pedestrians killed were the result of a driver hit-and-run crash
- 91% of pedestrian deaths are caused by single vehicle crashes; 9% were caused by multiple vehicle crashes
- More than 1,300 pedestrians were injured in Georgia last year
- 193 pedestrians were killed in Georgia last year, accounting for 13.5% of total traffic fatalities
The Centers for Disease Control adds:
- Last year, ER doctors in the United States treated nearly 130,000 pedestrians for crash-related injuries
- With each trip taken, pedestrians are 1.5 times more likely to be killed in a vehicle crash compared to their passenger vehicle occupant counterparts
- One in every five children (14 and under) killed in a traffic crash was a pedestrian
- 15% of pedestrian death crashes involved a driver with a blood alcohol content level of at least .08
- 14.8% increase in pedestrian injuries over the past decade
Causes and Injuries Associated with Pedestrian Accidents
Additionally, the USDOT compiled the most frequent sources of pedestrian injuries, as:
- Tripped on an uneven or cracked sidewalk: 24%
- Trip and fall: 17%
- Hit by a vehicle: 12%
- Wildlife or pet related injury: 6%
- Tripped on stone: 5%
- Stepped in a hole: 5%
When a pedestrian is hit by a vehicle, the sheer impact of the car or truck’s weight colliding with a person on foot can be devastating, including:
- Negligent driving, including distracted, reckless, speeding. or impaired driver’s operating a vehicle
- Driver’s failing to follow traffic signs and lights
- Failure to yield to pedestrian crosswalks
- Lack of visual checks on surroundings, or blindly pulling out of parking garages or lots
However, vehicle crashes are not the only form of a pedestrian accident with injury.
The root causes of pedestrian accidents and resulting injuries are wide-ranging, and can include:
- Unkempt premises causing injury by trip and fall or hit by/against falling objects
- Slippery surfaces in and outside of retail shopping areas
- Incomplete or lack of posted warnings for dangerous construction areas or sites affecting passersby
- Uneven or dangerous and poorly lit walk and stairways
Pedestrian Injuries: Who’s Going to Pay the Bills?
At The Marks Law Group, our Atlanta pedestrian accident attorneys have represented individuals who have suffered injuries from slip and fall accidents in public and isolated areas to pedestrians who have been hit by a vehicle and suffered severe injuries that require long-term medical care, including brain injury patients. Each case we represent requires a unique approach to financial recovery, and the terms can vary greatly for each client.
The financial recovery avenues we explore for each of our clients can include:
- Current and future lost wages
- Current and future medical care costs
- Prescription and medical equipment rental costs
- Rehabilitation and therapy costs
- Outstanding expenses resulting from lack of work
- Partial or full disability
- Temporary or permanent disability
Your pedestrian accident and resulting injuries will determine the recovery proposal we strategically design on your behalf. Our pedestrian accident attorneys in Atlanta, GA will create a case that fully covers your needs, so you can focus on medical care and rehabilitation while we handle the financial details you are entitled to.
Contact Our Pedestrian Accident Attorneys in Atlanta, GA Today for a Free Consultation
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, or are caring for someone who has, contact our experienced Atlanta pedestrian accident lawyers at Marks Law Group, LLC today at (404) 939-1485 for a free consultation. The road to recovery may be long and arduous, and there is no reason to suffer from the financial stress that another has dealt you and your family. We can help you take the first steps in holding the negligent person or entity responsible for your injuries accountable now. Call us today to find out how.