Experienced Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Atlanta, GA
Unfortunately, Atlanta, Georgia can be a dangerous place for cyclists.
Data collected by the Atlanta Regional Commission and the state pedestrian advocacy group, PEDS, shows a 53 percent increase in the number of collisions between cars and cyclists or pedestrians in the city from 2006 to 2015. And, the number of cyclists and pedestrians killed or seriously injured in collisions with cars increased by 26 percent in the same time period.
Experts attribute the increase to a combination of factors: distracted driving, particularly the rise in the number of car drivers who text or talk on the phone while driving; and an increasing number of people who want to get around by bike or on foot but must use roads designed almost exclusively for motor vehicles.
So, as a bicyclist in the Atlanta, GA-area, what strategies should you use to stay safe while riding your bike? And, if you or a loved one are in collision while riding, what should you do to ensure your rights are protected and you recover from any injuries you sustain?
Bicycle Accidents in Atlanta
According to research conducted by the City of Atlanta during the development of its transportation plan, 71 percent of traffic fatalities and 42 percent of the city’s accident-related injuries occur on just six percent of its 2,000 miles of road. The problem areas are the heavily-traveled corridors of Piedmont Road, Peachtree Road, as well as much of the city’s under-invested west side.
Avoiding these chokepoint areas during busy times, or using heightened caution while traveling there, can be one strategy for avoiding a serious accident. Advocacy groups like PEDS and the Atlanta Bicycle Coalition are working with the City of Atlanta and other jurisdictions to change public policy when it comes to road development and design, so that commuters who want to make the healthier and more environmentally friendly choice—cycling—a safe one, as well.
If You are Hurt in an Atlanta Bicycle Accident
Until we have better options for bicyclists on Georgia roads, those who are injured due to the poor environment and negligence of distracted drivers will need powerful advocates like the attorneys at Marks Law Group, LLC. Our bicycle accident attorneys understand that a cyclist colliding with a car, truck or motorcycle will cause severe injuries, resulting in life-changing medical needs that can be temporary or permanent.
Our attorneys can help bicycle accident injury victims recover fully, no matter how simple or severe their injuries are. We provide unmatched legal representation from the start of our client’s bicycle accident claim through receipt of a financial recovery settlement that meets their specific needs. We can do the same for you, and your family.
Bicycle Accident Compensation claims will vary based on the severity of the accident, but can include coverage of medical care for all injuries, including:
- Road rash, cuts, scratches and infections
- Broken bones
- Muscle and ligament damage
- Scarring or disfigurement
- Neck and spine injury
- Brain injury
- Current and future lost wages
Expenses related to bicycle accident injuries can include:
- Medical device or equipment rental
- Therapy and rehabilitation
- Temporary or permanent disability
- Partial or full disability
- Pain and suffering
Five Steps to Take After an Atlanta Bicycle Accident
Strengthening your Atlanta bicycle accident case begins with a proactive approach to ensuring valuable information or evidence doesn’t disappear immediately following a bicycle crash.
If you require emergency care, please get it immediately. We can investigate your bicycle accident on your behalf. If you are able, and do not require emergency medical care, take the following steps to support your claim.
- Call the police. Do not negotiate, argue, or try to rationalize the bicycle accident with the driver. Get the police to the scene immediately and request a police report. Tell your side of the story to the police, and ensure your version is mirrored in the bicycle accident report. Request a copy of the bicycle accident report before you leave the scene. Address any discrepancies in the report immediately before the officer leaves.
- Write down or photograph important information. This should include the driver’s license, insurance information, registration, and license plate number of the driver. Take the names and contact information of any witnesses who were at the scene of the bicycle accident.
- Do not evaluate your own medical needs. Even if you feel fine, there are extreme dangers in foregoing care, including possible head trauma, internal bleeding, and infections that can manifest from the abrasions.
- Seek medical care right away. Verbally explain to the medical professionals where your bicycle accident injuries are, and how they are affecting your physical, emotional, and psychological make up. Make sure to get a copy of the emergency room visit documentation for your records.
- Do not throw away damaged equipment or clothing. Keep your helmet, clothing, protective pads, and any other clothing/electronic/bicycle part until further notice AS IS after the accident. This is evidence. Do not get your bike fixed. Leave it AS IS after the accident. This is also evidence.
Call Today for a Free Consultation
Our bicycle accident attorneys in Atlanta, GA are always available to come to the accident scene, the hospital, or to visit you after you’ve returned home to discuss your case in full. Time is of the essence after a bicycle accident, as the details are pertinent to your case, and can dissolve as time goes by. If you have been injured in a bicycle accident or are concerned for a loved one’s well-being who has been injured, contact our accomplished Atlanta bicycle accident attorneys today! You can call or text (404) 998-4072 for a free consultation. Our lawyers will walk you through the legal process without obligation and explain your options in simple terms that allow you to make an informed decision about proceeding with your claim. Marks Law Group, LLC is here to help and want to hear your bicycle accident details today.
Call us now to learn more.