The spinal cord is a set of nerves protected by the spinal vertebrae. These nerves are critical in facilitating communication between the brain and body, facilitating movement and sensation in the trunk and limbs. Damage to the spinal cord can result in partial loss of movement or sensation, or in full quadriplegia, which is a loss of sensation from the neck down. Spinal cord injuries can result in permanent consequences for victims and are some of the costliest injuries to treat. Learn more about the most common causes of spinal cord injuries below, and contact the seasoned Atlanta spinal cord injury lawyers at the Marks Law Group, LLC for more information.
Common causes of spinal cord injuries in Atlanta
Some of the most common causes of spinal cord injuries include:
- Motorcycle accidents
- Accidents caused by a drunk driver
- Ladder falls or other on-the-job accidents
- Auto Accidents caused by excessive speed
- Violent assault or gunshot injuries
- Sports accidents
- Boating accidents
Spinal injuries may not be immediately obvious
While the most catastrophic injuries to the spine or spinal nerves may be obvious, not all victims of spinal cord injuries are immediately aware of their injury. If you believe that you or a loved one may have suffered spinal cord damage in an accident, it’s important to seek medical care as soon as possible to provide the best chances for a good outcome. Possible signs of a spinal cord injury include:
- Diminished sensation in the extremities, such as an inability to sense temperature in the hands or feet, numbness, or tingling
- Spasms or excessive reflex reactions
- Weakness or lost ability to control movement in the legs, hands, or arms
- Inability to control the bladder or bowel movements
- Labored breathing or difficulty in coughing or clearing substances from the throat or lungs
- Difficulty walking or balancing
- Lost sexual function or sensitivity
- Pain caused by damage to the nerves, or intense pain in the back or neck
Spinal cord injury victims need seasoned legal help
Injuries to the spinal cord can leave victims with devastating physical consequences, as well as astronomical and lifelong costs of care and rehabilitation. If the spinal cord injury was caused by another person’s negligence or recklessness, you may be entitled to compensation for these injuries through a personal injury lawsuit. A skilled Georgia spinal cord injury attorney can provide an evaluation of your potential legal claims and help you file a claim for damages before time runs out. Contact the offices of the Atlanta personal injury lawyers at the Marks Law Group today for a no-cost evaluation of your claims.
Atlanta Attorneys at Marks Law Group are Here for You after a Serious Accident or Injury
For an evaluation of your case after you or a loved one suffers a spinal cord injury in Georgia, contact the seasoned and trial-ready Atlanta spine injury attorneys at the Marks Law Group at 404-939-1485.