With the popularity of bicycles returning with increasing numbers of commuters, family outings and exercise enthusiasts, the danger increases in traveling the busy roadways of Atlanta and its suburbs. Even with bike lanes and the laws of the road on their side, bicyclists are still injured at an alarming rate by overpowering vehicles that are steered by negligent drivers. At The Marks Law Group, LLC, our attorney group is dedicated to representing those who were doing everything right while enjoying the freedom of a bike ride, only to be injured by someone who was negligently operating a car, truck or bus.
Bicycle Accident Statistics
With the community support and growing bicycling infrastructure in Atlanta, our commitment to the safety cyclists and representing them when those safeguards fail, is second to none in the legal industry. In 2010, the city of Atlanta added 15 more miles of bike lanes — both shared and dedicated — which has helped the community embrace cycling, while also leading to increased injury to riders. With more plans in the works to increase bicycling enjoyment, our job as a dedicated lawyer group has never been so important to the community.
Statistics for bicycle accident cases in the United States is staggering. The following numbers are from 2011 — the last available count from the Department of Transportation:
- 677: Total Cyclists Killed in Traffic Crashes (2% of all Traffic Fatalities)
- 9%: Increase in Bicycle Accident Fatalities from the Previous Year
- 38,000: The Number of Bicyclists Injured in a Single Year
- $4 Billion: The Total Economic Impact of Bicycle Injury and Death Each Year
- 1223: Total Traffic Accident Fatalities in Georgia
- 14: Total Bicycle Accident Fatalities in Georgia (1.1%)
Even when a bicycle accident does not end in death, the injuries can be severe, leading to life altering consequences for the cyclist and their family. When someone is hit by a two ton vehicle during a bicycle accident, their vulnerable position — even when wearing a helmet and protective gear — can compromise their physical and emotional health going forward. Our attorney group has successfully represented bicycle accident injury victims in every capacity to help them recover the financial settlement they deserve to focus fully on their recovery.
What to Do if You Are Involved in a Bicycle Accident
If you are involved in a bicycle accident, it is important that you ensure your rights are not violated in the course of events that follow. Our lawyer group understands that in some cases injury is so severe that the rider may be unable to perform the following steps. When you are able, please access the following plan to establish the best case possible for your protection.
- Call the Police. Do not attempt to negotiate with the driver in any way. Even if you do not believe that you are hurt, you will need a police report to pursue damages.
- Do Not Evaluate Your Medical Needs Alone: Some bicyclists believe they are fine, without knowing the extent of their injuries. Internal bleeding, head trauma and even infections that can arise from abrasions should be evaluated by a medical professional.
- Tell Your Side of the Story: Make sure the accident report bears your version of the events.
- Record the Driver’s Information, and that of ANY Witnesses: Do not assume the police report will contain this information. Take your own notes and records with you by documenting the event to the best of your ability.
- Document Your Injuries: Explain to the medical professional who evaluates you any complaints, and get a copy of their assessment for your records.
- Do Not Fix Anything: Keep your bike, helmet, clothing, etc., in the same state it was in immediately following the accident. This is evidence.
- Call our Law Office: Contact our accomplished and experienced Atlanta attorney today to receive the best representation possible for your bicycle accident injuries.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a bicycle accident, call our Atlanta attorney today at 404-939-1485 for a free consultation, and to discover how we can help you recover physically, emotionally and financially.